MORYNEProject reference: 027041
Funded under: FP6-IST
Enhancement of public transport efficiency through the use of mobile sensor networks
Total cost:EUR 3 832 832
EU contribution:EUR 1 999 208
Funding scheme:STREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
Project MORYNE aims to contribute to greater transport efficiency, increased transport safety and more environmental friendly transport by improving traffic management in an urban and sub-urban area.
MORYNE will provide an effective co-operative system, by :
- Using public transport vehicles (e.g buses) as elements of a network of mobile sensors, communicating with the infrastructure
- Setting up co-operation between public traffic management and city traffic management.
In the proposed Traffic Management System,
- Public transport vehicles are equipped with sensors that collect data on the vehicle environment
- Sensor data are processed locally and in real-time to generate information which are sent to a Public Traffic Management Centre through reliable and cost-efficient radio communications
- The Public Traffic Management Centre generates decisions that are broadcasted to public transport vehicles and fixed points (like message panels at bus stations)
- The collected information is also made available to a City Traffic Management Centre to provide an up-to-date picture of the traffic situation
- The City Traffic Management Centre derives traffic management decisions that are broadcasted to distributed Traffic Control Devices (e.g. Variable Message Sign panels) and to vehicle drivers (via PDA, Internet).
The project will focus on:
- The development of an approach for new safety- and efficiency-oriented transport management and traffic management;
- The development and validation of technologies for appropriate sensing, information processing, communication, interfaces;
- The development of an in-laboratory demonstrator;
- The validation of the proposed concepts through field testing with Berlin Buses Authority;
- The analysis of potential impacts (social, economic, environmental) and the definition of further steps.
28760 TRES CANTOS MADRID
91953 LES ULIS