CUSTOM-IMDProject reference: 26599
Funded under :
SME Supply Chain Integration for Enhanced Fully Customisable Medical Implants, using new biomaterials and rapid manufacturing technologies, to enhance the quality of life for EU citizens
Total cost:EUR 9 748 906
EU contribution:EUR 5 399 998
Call for proposal:FP6-2004-NMP-SME-4See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:IP - Integrated Project
The 2010 industry paradigm will be that the 'Implantable Medical Device' surgeon will plan and execute surgical operations based solely on the clinical needs of the patient.
Custom-IMD will realise this vision through the development of new biomaterials for the manufacture of innovative fully customised medical implants using enhanced rapid manufacturing technologies; achieving implant design, manufacture, sterilisation, regulatory approval and delivery to the surgeon within a 48 hour time frame.
The main project objectives are:
- The development of innovative biomaterials (ceramics, bio-passive, bio-active and shape-memory polymers) for use in Rapid Manufacturing.
- To complete in-vitro, cell culture and in-vivo animal studies for the new biomaterial s; thus generating a strong toxicological and biocompatibility knowledge base.
- To achieve innovations within the Rapid Manufacturing techniques enabling the processing of the selected biomaterials achieving targeted material properties and timeframe.
- To achieve integration of the medically certified e-supply chain management (confidential patient data, material supply, implant design and manufacture, sterilisation and certification) enabling customised implants to be supplied to the surgeon within 4 8 hours.
- The design, manufacture and testing of three fully customisable implant products (craniofacial bone plate; lumbar spinal disc replacement; and dental restoration) achieving target implant specifications.
- To demonstrate the direct economic savings to the European healthcare service for customisable implants and to quantify their wider economic and societal 'added value'.