SUGARProject ID: 42807
Value-added chemicals and hydrogen from biomass
Total cost:EUR 0
EU contribution:EUR 26 482 471
Call for proposal:FP6-2005-MOBILITY-3See other projects for this call
Funding scheme:TOK - Marie Curie actions-Transfer of Knowledge
Goal is to create a true economic driver as the ultimate hurdle to overcome in the use of large-scale biological feedstock for industrial purposes, improving European energy-supply security and to stimulate sustainable European bulk chemical industries. SME Avantium Technologies BV (Avantium) will establish a new research group to develop economical sound bio-alternatives for bulk (petro) chemical materials.
This involves the following objectives:
1. Investigate all chains of low-cost raw biomaterial, with sugar as current most promising feedstock for sucrose, cellulose or fructose feedstock production;
2. Minimise the costs of processes converting biomass into organic chemicals (high selectivities and yields) or hydrogen.
3. Discover the potential of obtained bio chemicals into end-application in term of process costs and end-product performance.
The second step involves Avantium's proposition of a revolution in bio(petro)chemical research. As a unique and renown specialist on heterogenic catalyst processes for the (petro) chemical fine and bulk industry, Avantium is bound to discover a "perfect" solid bed catalyst for the conversion of bio feed-stock into fine and bulk (petro)chemicals and hydrogen. However, Avantium lacks in-depth knowledge of food chemistry and biopolymers in order to complete the bulk production chains.
Therefore, the objectives of this Transfer of Knowledge project are:
- To fill knowledge gaps of Avantium of Hexose C6 Food Chemistry (step 1) and Biochemical end-products (step 3) by recruiting, training and hosting experienced researchers on these fields for two years.
- To enable these hosted external researchers to pro-actively discover the opportunities of heterogenic catalyst technology for novel biochemical processing, leading to one or more validated integrated operational solutions to industrialise value-added fine and bulk chemicals and hydrogen from biomass (sugar), competitive to current fossil feed-stock industries.