HI-WIProject ID: 266084
Materials and drives for High & Wide efficiency electric powertrains
"Presently, drives for Fully Electric Vehicles and Hybrid Electric Vehicles develop their highest efficiency of around 93~95% within a speed range of usually 1/4 to 1/3 of the maximum, and at an ideal torque, whereas in real-life driving cycles the motor operates at a wider range of speeds and at partial load, resulting in much lower efficiency.
Hi-Wi will address this mismatch by advancing the design and manufacture of drive trains through:
- Holistic design across magnetic, thermal, mechanical and control electronics/algorithms in line with real-life use rather than a single-point “rating”.
- The use of variable flux approaches in which the flux of the motor can be adjusted in real-time according to the load condition to maximise efficiency.
In addition to the above efficiency gains, Hi-Wi will couple its novel design approach to breakthroughs in materials and manufacturing, winning size, weight, logistical and cost savings through:
- Adopting nano-scale materials advances to create superior field strengths with reduced reliance upon rare earths and their economically-vulnerable strategic supply chains.
- Adopting nano-scale manufacturing advances to create permanent magnets having ideal geometries, reduced size and weight, and improved mechanical and thermal behaviour.
The 3-year Hi-Wi project will deliver:
- Innovative approaches to the holistic design and modelling of rotating magnetic machines tailored specifically to the in-use conditions of FEV and HEV drive cycles.
- Breakthrough materials and manufacturing advances based upon a fusion of nano-scale science and high-technology high-speed production techniques.
- The prototyping and demonstration of innovative drive topologies showing high efficiencies over the wide torque/speed range demanded by real-use driving cycles.
- Guidelines and IPR to support a world-leading EU position in the economic mass manufacture of motors to exploit the global uptake of FEV and HEV mobili"
EU contribution: EUR 509 159
TRINITY LANE THE OLD SCHOOLS
CB2 1TN CAMBRIDGE
Tel.: +44 1223 333543
Fax: +44 1223 332988
EU contribution: EUR 524 628
FIRTH COURT WESTERN BANK
S10 2TN SHEFFIELD
EU contribution: EUR 184 920
VIA GIUSEPPE GRASSI 4
Tel.: +39 340 839 88 96
Fax: +39 0115624262
EU contribution: EUR 448 989
STRADA TORINO 50
Tel.: +39 011 9083 492
Fax: +39 011 9083 786
EU contribution: EUR 313 943
VIA C.OLIVETTI 2
20864 AGRATE BRIANZA
Tel.: +39 095 7408306
Fax: +39 0957407513
EU contribution: EUR 160 725
CHEMIN DE MALACHER INOVALLEE 15
EU contribution: EUR 266 309
Tel.: +49 896 365 2015
Fax: +49 896 364 8322