The European Institute for Transuranium Elements
In 1988 the Institute at Karlsruhe celebrated 25 years of research. The history of the Institute goes back to 1957 when the European Atomic Association - EURATOM - was founded, and the decision taken to establish a joint nuclear research establishment. After the decentralization programme of 1959 construction work commenced for the Research Institute at Karlsruhe, one of four joint nuclear research centres, in 1963. In the early years research concentrated on the development of fuels for the new types of reactor. After several one-year programmes and a year of crisis in 1970, the joint research centre was restructured. Finally in 1973 a multi-year programme ended the uncertainty about the future of the European Institute. There followed several multi-year programmes with increased emphasis on environmental research, materials research and safety technology, with the nuclear projects being restricted to the safety aspects of that technology. Over the 25 years of its existence the Institute has tried to achieve an objective evaluation of the available forms of energy.
Bibliographic Reference: EUR 11789 DE (1988) 32 pp.
Availability: Available from the RTD-Helpdesk, European Commission, DG XIII/D-2, EUFO 2286, rue Alcide de Gasperi, L-2920 Luxembourg (LU)
Record Number: 198910144 / Last updated on: 1994-12-01
Original language: de
Available languages: de