FUSION TECHNOLOGY AT THE JRC OF THE EC
The Joint Research Centre of the European Communities was established under the EURATOM Treaty as a nuclear research centre, and began operations in 1960- 1961. It is composed of four establishments, Petten in the Netherlands, Geel in Belgium, Karlsruhe in the Federal Republic of Germany and Ispra in Northern Italy. The Ispra Establishment, which is situated on the shores of Lago Maggiore about 60 km north of Milan, is the largest of the JRC's four establishments, employing some 1700 staff on a site of about 400 acres. The total funding of the JRC is about 150 million ECU (140 million dollars) per year. Although it was originally intended as a purely nuclear fission research centre with an emphasis on nuclear safety, a large fraction (more than 30 %) of the Ispra budget is now spent on other research topics. These include alternative energy sources, protection of the environment, remote sensing from space, informatics and a large variety of scientific investigations undertaken in the interests of the policies of the European Commission. The European Commission draws up quadriennial programmes for the JRC which are submitted to the European Parliament for its recommendations before they are approved by the Council of Ministers. At present the JRC is in the final year of the 1980 - 1983 programme which will have cost about 600 million ECU, a sum which, although impressive in absolute terms, represents less than one percent of total expenditure on civil R & D by the Member states.
Bibliographic Reference: NUCLEAR ENGINEERING AND DESIGN/FUSION, VOL. 1 (1984), PP. 101-103
Record Number: 1989122095300 / Last updated on: 1987-01-01
Available languages: en