Community Research and Development Information Service - CORDIS

Abstract

The tritium profiles in a TFTR graphite tile exposed to a D-D plasmas and in a JET graphite tile employed during the first tritium campaigns in 1991 were examined in detail by full combustion, thermogravimetry, and thermal desorption. The combustion measurements showed that most of the tritium, i.e. >98.9%, is trapped in a co-deposited and an implanted layer of less than 50 µm thickness. The remainder of the tritium, i.e. <1.1%, was found to be distributed homogeneously throughout the whole tile. The tritium distribution on the surface of the tiles is not homogeneous; measurements indicate that the concentration varies by a factor of up to 10. A significant fraction of the tritium was found in the gaps between the tiles. The concentrations of tritium on the upper edge of the lateral side of a tile were as high as 30% of those at the plasma-exposed side. However, the total tritium on the lateral sides of the tiles is only 5% of the tritium on the tile surface. A fraction of the co-deposited layer was found to be easily removable with adhesive tape from the tile surface.

Additional information

Authors: HAIGH A, JET Joint Undertaking, Abingdon, Oxfordshire (GB);PEACOCK A, JET Joint Undertaking, Abingdon, Oxfordshire (GB);BEKRIS N, Tritium Laboratory Karlsruhe, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);HELLRIEGEL W, Tritium Laboratory Karlsruhe, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);NOPPEL H-E, Tritium Laboratory Karlsruhe, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);PENZHORN R-D, Tritium Laboratory Karlsruhe, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);NAGELE W, Hot Cells, Experimental Engineering Department, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);ZIEGLER H, Hot Cells, Experimental Engineering Department, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe (DE);ROLLI R, Institute of Neutron Physics and Reactor Technology, Research Centre Karlsruhe (DE);WERLE H, Institute of Neutron Physics and Reactor Technology, Research Centre Karlsruhe (DE)
Bibliographic Reference: Report: JET-P(99)53
Availability: Available from JET Joint Undertaking, Abingdon, Oxfordshire (GB)
Record Number: 200012771 / Last updated on: 2000-09-20
Category: PUBLICATION
Original language: en
Available languages: en