|:: About Projects|
Building on the International Year of Astronomy: Making young children aware of the Universe
|Organization name:UNIVERSITEIT LEIDEN|
9500, 2300 RA
Region:NOORD-NEDERLAND GRONINGEN Oost-Groningen
Objective: EUNAWE responds to the outreach part of the Coordinating Action for FP7-SPACE-2010-1. It meets the specific requirements of the call (Section 18.104.22.168). EUNAWE exploits inspirational aspects of astronomy and space to interest very young disadvantaged children in science and technology, broaden their minds and stimulate European and global citizenship. The proposal builds on Universe Awareness (UNAWE), a unique, innovative and proven programme for children aged 4 to 10 years.
It will exploit the achievements of European (EU) and South African (SA) space sciences to inspire, excite and stimulate young children, when their curiosity is high and their value systems are being formed. Specifically, EUNAWE will:
- Train and empower primary school teachers in 6 countries to include astronomy and space topics in the classroom.
- Develop and translate hands-on material, where appropriate emphasising EU and SA science and technology. - Provide a network for exchange of expertise and material between educators
- Lay the groundwork for expansion of the programme throughout the EU, Associated Countries and ICP Countries.
- Act as a showcase for EU and SA astronomy/space and related technologies, by disseminating the products among very young children, their teachers and their families.
- Use astronomy/space products to stimulate awareness and strengthen public support for EU and SA space science research and technology.
- Stimulate the next generation of EU and SA engineers and scientists, particularly girls.
- Contribute to the integration of disadvantaged communities in participating countries.
- Strengthen collaboration between EU and SA over mutually beneficial scientific, technological, educational and social topics.
- Provide significant added value for Europe's expenditure on astronomy and space sciences for a modest incremental cost.
Pooling complementary expertise and resources of 6 partners gives a project whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Project cost:2534311 EURO
Project Funding:1903577 EURO
Programme Acronym: FP7-SPACE
Programme type:Seventh Framework Programme
Subprogramme Area:Exploitation of space science and exploration data
Contract type:Coordination (or networking) actions
Subject index:Space & satellite research
Results for this Project
|Organization name:UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA|
Jordi Girona 31
Region:ESTE CATALUÑA Barcelona
|Organization name:RUPRECHT-KARLS-UNIVERSITAET HEIDELBERG|
Region:BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG KARLSRUHE Heidelberg, Stadtkreis
|Organization name:ARMAGH OBSERVATORY AND PLANETARIUM|
|Organization name:NATIONAL RESEARCH FOUNDATION|
PO Box 2600
Meiring Naude Road Brummeria
|Organization name:ISTITUTO NAZIONALE DI ASTROFISICA|
Viale del Parco Mellini 84
Record control number:97906