MEDCHIP will develop the microelectronics training capabilities in the southern EU regions and bring them to the level of the more advanced central and northern member states in order to enhance the social and economic cohesion and harmonisation of Europe and also sustain the development of microelectronics engineering activities in the SMEs established in these regions. MEDCHIP will:
- stimulate and consolidate the development of a microelectronics engineering culture in the university environment and then promote its diffusion to the industry level in order to assure sufficient qualified human resources
- create a communications network connecting the educational and training institutions in order to maintain technology awareness.
MEDCHIP will concentrate on:
- establishing a multidisciplinary training group responsible for developing training programmes in the most efficient way possible taking local requirements into consideration
- organising a pool of MEDCHIP training workshops (one at each participating institution) in order to test the effectiveness of the training programmes and identify the infrastructure developments needed to support them.
MEDCHIP should increase the level of human resources with high qualifications in the area of microelectronics engineering in the southern member states of the EU, thereby ensuring the sustained involvement of SMEs. This will be achieved by providing trainees with:
- high-level training by a pool of selected European experts
- continuous, local training support by specially trained staff
- access to adequate CAD tools for implementing alternative design methodologies
- access to foundry services for alternative technologies
- access to adequate testing and characterisation equipment.