The TELL project addresses the large-scale manufacturing of Low and Mid voltage power converters and more in general Low and Mid voltage powertrain solutions targeting:
• The electrification of the small and lower-medium segments accounting for about 70% (8 millions/year) of the current total passenger cars sold in Europe,
• Hybrid vehicles adopting a low voltage add-on electric propulsion,
• The light weight urban mobility sector which on a global scale is exponentially growing.
For the purpose TELL brings together an integrated supply chain including a world leader in Power Semiconductors, 2 leading Tier1s in Automotive and Industrial powertrains, a high-tech Small-Medium enterprise in e-mobility applications and a leading-edge RTO. Specific objectives are:
• Develop technologies, know-how and best practices for handling thinner wafers throughout the entire supply chain aiming at increasing the global efficiency in urban mobility and those driving cycles having a high number of stops and starts,
• Increase the yield both in the production of chips and at the inverter-level integration,
• Explore the potentiality of Wide Bandgap Semiconductors at low voltage using a novel GaN inverter and a novel synchro motor with integrated GaN switches;
• Develop two types of advanced super-compact powertrains based on Si-Mosfets and GaN FETS on thin chips with embedded state of-the-art control algorithms enabled by electrical powertrains,
• Introduce a higher degree of smartness at a system level in both powertrains.
The achievements will be demonstrated in two EV platforms: 4WD operated at a nominal voltage of 100V and 2WD operated at a nominal voltage of 48V.
The proposed solutions will be 100% made in Europe, robust, efficient, low-cost:
• 25% of cost reduction in mass production with increased user-friendliness and experience,
• highest quality devices and two powertrains solutions meeting and overcoming the current automotive standards.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/electric energy
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action