The only final drawback is a manufacturing process that is generally rather complicated for extensometers and pressure fiber optic sensors. Protocols of manufacturing are currently under definition in order to simplify the process and to improve its quality.
In conclusion, the consortium can exhibit good results:
1. New fiber optic sensors have been developed (strain/displacement sensor, pressure sensor), show very good performances and the interface sensor-structure has been optimised;
2. These sensors are temperature compensated;
3. The sensors are well suited for multiplexing and distributed installation over large distance and over a large amount of sensors;
4. An acquisition system has been developed that can interrogate any wavelength mutiplexed sensors based on the FBG technology;
5. Two in-situ installations have been achieved and are currently running in order to prove the reliability of the sensors themselves and the system during the coming year.
The proposed project aims the development of an accurate distributed stability control system based on fiber optic sensing technology.
This system will be used in a hazardous mining area where excavation works, blasting and other mining operations are continuously performed.
The successful installation of the stability control system will allow to modify the existing mining method and to develop in relation to the on-line stability control, a practical continuous excavation and backfill method, with less operational stops and dead time periods.
To ensure accurate and reliable stability control a distributed sensing system will be required where strain and stresses are contuously recorded.
The improvement due to fibre optic distributed sensing is fourfold :
(i) the increased knowledge of the environmental conditions allows larger excavated caverns, with a higher ore recovery rate
(ii) former and future support pillars could be exploited
(iii) backfilling method and operation could be monitored
(iv) the safety conditions in the mine can be improved
As a consequence of these four facts, maximum ore reserves are expected to be exploited under safe conditions with conditions with high productivity and lower operating costs and safety and working conditions will be improved.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
92084 Paris La Défense