The Mission Statement of the ITESIC project is:
"To develop and demonstrate a one stop shop for intermodal freight transport in Short and Medium distance corridors by developing a working environment capable of covering the requirements of the logistic planners and operators."
ITESIC will fill the gap between existing information systems that today do not communicate with each other. This means re-engineering the process of sending cargo to the corridors, eliminating for instance the need to send the same information to the maritime leg, the railway leg and the customs, and replacing it by a single procedure capable of delivering the information to all interested parties regardless of the mode of transport that they operate.
Although the objectives will most probably be achieved by different means in each of the corridors, the way to approach the problems will follow a common path:
- Firstly, trying to improve the services layer by applying information technology and transport telematics in order to create an Extranet connected to the existing EDI and information systems within the corridors.
- Secondly, transferring the impact of these technologies to the operational layer, reengineering the necessary processes in order to meet the requirements of our clients.
- Thirdly, maintaining a unified user interface, using standards aimed at facilitating harmonisation at a European level.
The most important part of the ITESIC project will be to consider the corridors as a unified transport system rather than a set of different transport services that are occasionally related to each other.
In order to achieve the mission statement, ITESIC will build two full fledged demonstrators based on Internet Technologies and EDI messages, linking the modal operators present in two corridors:
1. Valencia-Madrid consisting of a maritime leg with incoming /outgoing cargo to the port of Valencia, a connection to the railway services to Madrid and road transport to/from the Madrid terminal to/from the final/original destination.
2. Marseilles-Lyon consisting of a maritime leg sailing from the port of Marseilles, a connection with inland waterways services and road transport to/from the Lyon station to/from the final/original destination.
Links will be established with the following projects: OSIRIS, EUROSIL, TERMINET, MARTRANS, INTRATIP, MARNET and CESAR
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts