The main objectives of the proposed research project are:
- To optimize Artemia biomass production in an integrated culture system producing Artemia, shrimp and salt in existing artisanal salinas in southern Vietnam. The culture of Artemia and shrimp in a fully integrated system prevents pollution and destruction of the environment. - To develop processing techniques and application methods for Artemia biomass in aquaculture.
* The outcome of the research will strengthen the income generation of the saltworks and will thus improve the socio-economic situation of the presently poor region.
* The research work is divided into two phases.
Phase 1, research to obtain data on the individual subjects: - Artemia biomass production: evaluation of flow through systems, use of shrimp pond effluents, use of agriculture waste products.
- Use of live Artemia biomass in shrimp nurseries.
- Artemia biomass processing: development of new techniques for the use of biomass as a direct or indirect nutritional component for use in aquaculture.
*In phase 2 the different research subjects will be implemented into an integrated model, which will be used for extension to the local salt farmers.
* The project will be coordinated by the Institute of Agriculture Engineering (IMAG), wageningen, The Netherlands, and the laboratory of Aquaculture and Artemia Reference Center (ARC), University of Ghent, Belgium.
The research is carried out by scientists, technicians and students of the University of can Tho, Vietnam.
* Since the physical environment of the Project location resembles that of many countries in s.E. Asia, its results will be of great importance for the region.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
Can Tho, Province Hau Giang