Recent major catastrophes have resulted in a heavy toll in human lives and severe damages to the environment.
Installing and using an electronic automatic accident data recording system, named Maritime Black Box on board ships will allow to collect essential data as to the circumstances and origin of the accident, thereby
facilitating its reconstitution.
The main objectives of this project are :
* to provide the authorities with equipment that can be used to gain knowledge on accidental situations, in order to understand them better and ultimately to take the suitable preventive and regulatory measures,
* to produce the requirement specifications for a Maritime Black Box contributing to the improvement of safety and efficiency in maritime transport,
* to propose a legal framework for its implementation and exploitation
* to validate these proposals by means of a demonstrator and on-site experimentation for the new Maritime Black Box technology.
The introduction of the Maritime Black Box and its widespread use on board ships will affect the economic, industrial and social sectors :
* lesser risks of accident through a better knowledge of accident origins,
* benefits in pilots education and training,
* improved passenger safety and efficiency of maritime transport,
* reduced cost of victim indemnisation and compensation,
* expediting of resolution of disputes, and reduction of the related costs.
MASIS II, INCARNATION, ATOMOS II, VASME
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts