The main objective of the 3SNET (Short Sea Shipping NETwork) project is to define, implement and assess an information, booking and management system, providing a single interface between shippers, carriers, transport operators, etc. Its goal is to integrate short sea shipping in the intermodal chains primarily in regions like the Atlantic Arc where waterborne transport is a self-evident alternative to land transport.
The detailed objectives are to:
- Identify existing pilot projects;
- Identify, where possible, their results and coverage;
- Design alternative functionalities with ports and lines etc.;
- Outline the requirements of a composite system designed to integrate effectively with existing commercial operations;
- Circulate these requirements amongst the team and users committee in order to reach a firm view about the outline of any composite system and, in particular, about the systems with which it must achieve compatibility, and the relative priority which is attributed to given objectives;
- Develop a short sea version of the r Electronic Shipping Guide _ database, based upon information supplied by the shipping lines as for the deepsea ESG;
- Establish issues of legal responsibility introduced by an automated booking and reservation system;
- Design and implement a demonstrator information server, and interface and MMI packages, on the basis of the above requirements and priorities;
- Develop a pilot programme;
- Install system and communication links;
- Use the system in a real time commercial environment;
- Assess the results obtained during the validation stage, leading to proposals for future structuring, organization and exploitation of the system.
The pilot system will be tested mainly within the APAA (Association of Ports on the Atlantic Arc) members, namely Rosslare (ie), Liverpool (uk), Southampton (uk), Brest (fr), La Rochelle (fr), Santander (es), Cadiz (es), and Lisbon (pt).
Links exist with the following projects: BOLERO, BOPCOM, FINE, MARIS, MarNet, SHIRS.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
PO15 5TX Fareham