The key objective of the TROPOS project is the development of a floating modular multi-use platform system for use in deep waters, with an initial geographic focus on the Mediterranean, Tropical and Sub-Tropical regions but designed to be flexible enough not to be limited in geographic scope.
The TROPOS approach is centered on the modular development where different types of modules can be combined as appropriate in each area. In this way, the TROPOS multi-use platform system is able to integrate a range of functions from the transport, energy, aquaculture and leisure sectors, in a greater number of geographical areas than if it was a set platform design. This subsequently provides greater opportunities for profitability.
The TROPOS design will focus on a floating multi-purpose structure able to operate in, and exploit, deep waters, where fixed structures such as those piled in the seabed are not feasible. The multi-use platforms developed from the concept designs will have the potential to provide European coastal regions with appropriate aquaculture systems, innovative transport services as well as leisure and offshore energy solutions.
The main S/T objectives of the project are:
• To determine, based on both numerical and physical modeling, the optimal locations for multi-use offshore platforms in Mediterranean, sub-tropical and tropical latitudes
• To research the relations between oceanic activities, including wind energy, aquaculture, transport solutions for shipping, and other additional services
• To develop novel, cost-efficient and modular multi-use platform designs, that enable optimal coupling of the various services and activities
• To study the logistical requirements of the novel multi-use platform
• To assess the economic feasibility and viability of the platform
• To develop a comprehensive environmental impact methodology and assessment
• To configure at least three complete solutions, for the Mediterranean, Sub-tropical and tropical areas
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
- /engineering and technology/civil engineering/structural engineering/hydraulic engineering
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/hydrology/hydrogeology
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy/windpower
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy/hydroelectricity/marine energy
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP - Collaborative project (generic)
ES 36400 Porriño