The most important, in terms of understanding the nature of physical phenomena, experiments require time resolution on the scale of femto- (10-15) and atto (10-18)-seconds. Class of physical phenomena under investigation with pulsed radiation is very wide: understanding chemical dynamics when the timescales of nuclear and electronic motion can coincide, femtosecond movies of a chemical reaction, ultrafast dissociation investigations, spin dynamics investigations.
The next-generation light sources [energy-recovery linear accelerators, X-ray Free Electron Laser (XFEL) and High Harmonic Generators] is opening new avenues on research, due to their very large peak power and short pulses. Availability of suitable diffractive optics is the basis of further progress in measurement techniques. The quality of achievable results depends first of all on the availability of high-quality optical components.
Therefore, the project focuses on development of new methods of time-resolved x-ray spectroscopy based on novel 3D diffractive optical elements (3D DOE) with unique combination of properties. The project includes development of theory and technology of the optics as well as application of this optics to atomic, molecular and condensed matter physics. These 3D DOE are required in the broad energy range between 100 eV and 20 keV. The proposed 3D DOE are based on the principle of energy dispersion in the focal plane of a Reflection Fresnel Zone Plate. Such elements are presently not available nowhere in the world.
The project will include:
- 3D DOE design and ray-tracing calculations;
- modification of the 3D DOE fabrication technique;
- upgrading the instrumentation for 3D DOE fabrication;
- 3D DOE fabrication and testing;
- design and construction of the monochromator for ultrafast experiments;
- construction of the detection system for parallel signal registration;
- conducting test-experiments on atomic, molecular or condensed matter physics
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/theoretical physics/particles/particle accelerator
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/condensed matter physics
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/analytical chemistry/spectroscopy
- /humanities/arts/modern and contemporary art/film
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/laser physics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call