The strategic goal of the project is to help the European vineyard sector facing the increasingly global competition by meeting:
* Consumer demands for diversified high quality wines and concerns for food safety
* Citizens’ requests for environment-friendly production systems involving decreased or no use of pesticides and spare of not renewable natural resources
* Producers’ needs of plant material, tools and methods to help them cope with the negative impacts of climate change while responding to demands for quality, environmental friendliness and needs of profitability
To reach this overall goal, the project will:
* At the plant level, improve and design agricultural practices (canopy management, irrigation, fertilisation, training systems, pest and disease control, etc.) aimed at maximising berry quality, durable resistance to pests and and diseases, and adaptation to climate change (higher CO2, drought, UV light, and higher temperatures)
* At the vineyard level, design, develop and test innovative agronomic systems integrating new agricultural practices and taking into account the variability of constraints met by European vineyards grown under a wide range of environments
* At the breeding level, diversify grapevine varieties with regard to desirable adaptative traits building on tools and knowledge developed through international breeding and genomic initiatives.
The project will combine short, medium, and long-term approaches to respectively conceive innovative viticulture systems, design and test novel agronomic practices and decision support systems, and exploit the genetic diversity of grapevine that all together will ensure a progress towards sustainable viticulture.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
33076 Bordeaux Cedex
See on map
08720 Vilafranca Del Penedes
See on map