"WINTUR Demonstration Project will demonstrate the structural health monitoring (SHM) system that was developed successfully in the WinTur R4S project, in order to show that such a system is viable for blade monitoring and can help the wind sector to achieve the kind of energy delivery to business and communities that is desired by reducing operational and maintenance costs. This will be achieved by increasing efficiency by way realising the full life-cycle term of blade components and providing maintenance as and when it is required.
There will be many overall technical objectives that will be achieved by the end of the demo project:
1.Installation of novel light weight and flexible transducers on the blade able to detect the onset of damage that was the occurrence of fibre breakage due to staged development of a hole-defect.
2. Combination of different NDT techniques based on the guide wave ultrasonics such as Long Range Ultrasonic LRU and acoustic emission.
3. A sequence of signal processing techniques (FFTs, averaging, amplification) to overcome problems of ultrasound attenuation.
4. Utilisation of Energy Harvesting as a system to harness the surrounding environmental energy for the purposes of powering the sensors.
5. Use of short-range wireless protocol techniques to transfer data from the pulser/receiver unit to the central control in the nacelle."
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/signal processing
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/wireless
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call