AMCOR will develop and demonstrate Laser Metal Deposition (LMD) industrial manufacturing systems for the deposition of functional graded coatings (FGM) and 3D features onto metallic components supplied by industry that are subjected to in-service wear and corrosion. This will be supported by the development, production and testing of mixed powder combinations for coatings suitability.
The proposed system will combine LMD, robotic and CNC positioning, modelling, 3D scanning techniques and sensors to give a ‘turn-key’ solution to the deposition of multiple materials for quality controlled FGM coatings and 3D features onto original manufactured components and repair surfaces. The solution will offer a knowledge driven manufacturing process with significant production benefits; automation, self-management and reduced material usage and waste.
The integrated system will be assessed for its cost effectiveness, in terms of manufacturing efficiency and consumption of raw materials, but also its application flexibility for exploitation into industry sectors not represented in the consortium. This will be addressed by developing the following topics:
• Automation - Intelligible software interface for automated manufacturing by LMD.
• Production efficiency - Integrated process incorporating component referencing, in-line monitoring, closed loop control and NDT inspection.
• Materials – Intuitive database of material combinations with selection focused on coatings performance.
• Qualification - Demonstrator parts from industry (mining, automotive, power generation, tooling, industrial drives) validated by AMCOR end-users. Development of QA/QC deposition procedures.
To achieve these key objectives, the consortium consists of 16 organisations who are recognised leaders in various industrial sectors and in the development of LMD processes. We propose to develop the integrated AMCOR system over a period of 36 months with an overall budget of €4.7Million (€3Million EC contribut
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /social sciences/sociology/industrial relations/automation
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/manufacturing engineering/additive manufacturing
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/laser physics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-TP - Collaborative Project targeted to a special group (such as SMEs)
301 28 Plzen