Tectonics and climate are interdependent. The tectonics of orogens are moderated by climate through erosion. Exposure of rock by tectonics or erosion is critical to the feedback which governs changes in global climate, whilst topography influences rainfall. The principle objective of iTECC is to use the Himalaya as a natural laboratory to train young scientists in understanding such coupled processes. iTECC will integrate information from sedimentary archives with work on present-day tectonics, weathering, erosion and climate. Hereto, iTECC brings together and develops expertise in: observation and modeling of the active deformation of the lithosphere; processes of weathering and erosion; study of the geological records of the past evolution of these processes; and modeling of present and past climate change. The breadth of this research provides training in observational, analytical and mathematical methods applied in Earth and environmental sciences.
The proposed interdisciplinary training will result in a cohort of Earth Scientists with the cross-disciplinary expertise to enable them to tackle the problems posed in understanding the complex earth processes which moderate our surface environment.
iTECC's objectives are:
• Training of scientists with the ability to contribute to multi-disciplinary research ranging from solid Earth processes to climate, and apply their skills in academia and industry.
• Integration of research on present-day deformation with information from the geological record to understand how the lithosphere deforms.
• Significant improvement in the recovery and exploitation of tectonic, erosive, weathering and climatic records from sedimentary sequences.
• Evaluation of the impact of elevation and exhumation of the Himalayas on climate.
• Evaluation of the impact of climate, through erosion, on the tectonic evolution of the Himalayan orogen.
• Validation of climate models, using them to verify the interconnections between tectonics and climate
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeMC-ITN - Networks for Initial Training (ITN)
See on map