The project is focused on the ecological and morphological characteristics of river channels and related processes of erosion, sediment transport and deposition under changing boundary conditions described by socio economic and climate change scenarios. We will study effects of these changes on river systems at different spatial and temporal scales. The specific focus of the project is addressing the interface between the river channel and related slope systems. We will study historic evolution of river systems and will simulate future developments using scenarios.
The main projects scopes are:
1) Exchange of experience, methods and knowledge in fluvio-morphologic processes research.
2) Developing and harmonization of tools and models for monitoring and management of hillslope-river channel-systems.
3) Assessment of hydromorphological processes, and pressures across multiple temporal and spatial scales in different European river systems;
We will examine the links between erosive processes and hydromorphology in the context of integrated river basin management, considering the interactions with other elements of the whole system such as anthropogenic pressures and environmental changes. The new tools will help to assess the processes dynamics at the interface between hydrogeomorphological river processes and slope systems in a qualitative way. Moreover, new innovative techniques will be developed and applied that allow a quantification of the processes. The special focus is on remote sensing, aerial photography, field measurements with total stations, GPS, statistical analysis, all integrated in a GIS.
We will reach these targets as a multidisciplinary team across Europe, sharing knowledge, developing new approaches and applying them in different environments. We will explicitly aim to identify and integrate the different and overlapping conceptual understandings of scientists from the different disciplines carrying out joined research in this project.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesatmospheric sciencesclimatologyclimatic changes
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental scienceshydrologydrainage basins
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesgeologysedimentology
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringremote sensing
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call