FoAM-BUILD will develop next generation External Thermal Insulation Composite Systems (ETICS) for new builds and retrofitting applications. This comprises innovations in:
1) Insulation material: development of new, lightweight and highly insulating nano-cellular foams, with a 50% reduction in thermal conductivity compared to conventional insulation elements. Non-halogenated nano-based flame retardants will be developed and incorporated into these materials using new processing routes.
2) Active monitoring and control of moisture: a control system will be developed based on a sensor network to measure moisture and liquid water. Data from the sensors will be combined with an intelligent system for moisture prediction, and the system will respond by activating a ventilator system incorporated into the building’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system to dry targeted areas of the façade.
The materials and systems will be tested and demonstrated within the project by industrial end-users, with the creation of a demonstrator insulation material, sensor network and intelligent system, ventilation system and a full-scale façade system at TRL level 6. By deployment of FoAM-BUILD technology energy savings of 192,000 kWh to 288,000 kW will be achieved over a façade lifetime of 30 years. Additionally the new biofilm protection system will extend the service life of the façade surface from 5 years to 20 years for a north façade in central Europe.
FoAM-BUILD is characterised by an exceptionally strong industrial participation (6 of 10 partners, including market-leader DAW), which will ensure the high commercial relevance of developments. Close attention has been paid to IPR management, and tailored standardisation, dissemination, exploitation and training activities will ensure wider European benefit.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringcontrol systems
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringthermodynamic engineering
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensorssmart sensors
- engineering and technologynanotechnologynano-materials
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project
08940 Cornella De Llobregat Barcelona
See on map