The project is aimed at investigation of the novel routes to prepare functional 2D-substrates or 3D-scaffolds with artificial cell-instructive niches for cardiovascular and bone implants using sophisticated plasma- and electron beam-assisted nanofabrication technologies. The project’s grand challenges are as follows:
1) Plasma-assisted fabrication of two-dimensional (2D) substrates and three-dimensional (3D) scaffolds of polymers, titanium and shape-memory alloys to control the differentiation of MSCs towards osteogenic and vascular (endothelial) lineages
2) Deterministic nanofabrication of the endothelial cell-targeted surface chemistry, topography and charge of two-dimensional (2D) substrates and three-dimensional (3D) scaffolds for the prevention of thrombosis of polymers, titanium and shape-memory alloys-based materials
3) Control over the hydrophobic nitric oxide groups containing surface chemistry, wettability and charge that prevent the formation of biofilm and adhesion of platelets
4) Differential diagnostics of cell associations and bioengineering constructions in vitro by use of synchrotron radiation
5) The development and studying of the novel 2D-substrates and 3D polymer scaffolds and their behavior in a bio-reactor (via tissue engineering) in vitro by use of dedicated X-ray multiple contrast diagnostics (objective for re-integration phase of the project).
Completing the research planned during the PlasmaNanoSmart project it is suggested to obtain new fundamental data on biological response of novel elaborated biocomposites, which will serve further breakthrough in the field of 3D-bioscaffold technologies for regenerative medicine. The “cell biochips” advanced technology for “smart implants” carrying artificial niches for MSCs will be developed which allows us to gradually replace bioinert and bioactive materials. This new bioengineering (biomimetical) approach will reduce the medical, social and economic risks for the public (compared to cell therapy).
Field of science
- /medical and health sciences/medical biotechnology/tissue engineering
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/astronomy/planetary science/planetary geology
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/composites/biocomposites
- /medical and health sciences/medical biotechnology/medical bioproducts/implants
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call