The aim of SUSTAFFOR (Bridging effectiveness and sustainability in afforestation / reforestation in a climate change context: new technologies for improving soil features and plant performance) is to conceive, produce, develop and on-field validate novel techniques aiming at improving afforestation / reforestation projects from an environmental, technical and economic point of view, as well as to explore the synergies between them.
These novel techniques are:
1. MULCHING TECHNIQUES, aiming at reducing the need for weeding and soil water evaporation:
1.1. A flexible plate based on a mixture of bio-plastics in a matrix of a woven structure of vegetable fibers.
1.2. A mat based on plant proteins and non-woven vegetable fibers.
1.3. Different biodegradable mats made of woven and non-woven textiles based on natural fibers, strengthened with bio-resins.
1.4. A reusable mat built with recycled rubber (worn-out tires and conveyor belts).
2. SOIL CONDITIONERS, aiming at retaining and releasing water available for plants while improving soil structure and fertility. A mix of new generation hydro-absorbent polymers combined with fertilizer and growth precursors.
All of them are built in Europe, made exclusively with local materials mainly coming from waste, and are either 100% biodegradable or re-usable inert material.
SUSTAFFOR Partnership is:
- 4 SMEs producing novel techniques: DTC, La Zeloise, Ecorub (Belgium) and Terracottem International (Spain)
- 2 SMEs specialized on commercialization of reforestation and afforestation techniques: Terrezu (Spain, project coordinator) and Ceres (Poland)
- 4 RTDs with different specializations: Forest Sciences Center of Catalonia (Spain, scientific and technical conception and design of afforestation and reforestation and soil sciences); IC2MP - Environmental and Material Chemistry Institute of Poitiers (France, soil sciences); Belgian Textile Research Centre (Belgium, materials sciences and mechanical tests) and Edma Innova (Spain, electronic and scientific equipment)
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/textiles
- /social sciences/sociology/demography/fertility
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/soil science
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry/biomolecules/proteins
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/fibers
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBSG-SME - Research for SMEs