VOX-Pol is a 60-month, €5+ million project that integrates the world’s leading researchers and research groups in Violent Online Political Extremism (VOPE), to include those researching the intersection of terrorism and the Internet (incl. violent jihadists, violent separatists, etc.), the online activities of the extreme Right, the potential for violent online radicalisation, etc., in order to:
1. Create a sustainable critical mass of innovative activity among what is currently a burgeoning, but fragmented group of researchers and research topics.
2. Ensure that EU and MS strategies and policies targeting VOPE are based on concrete evidence, experience, and knowledge about the contours and workings of VOPE and thus increasing their likelihood of success.
• Integrate and network the research activities of those, within the EU and globally, working in the area of VOPE
• Create and develop long-term relationships between established national research groups, new researchers and research groups, security practitioners, the Internet industry, civil society, and policymakers leading to the development of a multi-disciplinary Virtual Centre of Excellence for Research in VOPE
• Be based on collaborative research among partners both within and outside the Network, with all contributing towards the development of an archive of politically extreme Internet-based content and a related URL database, which will be the basis for joint research activity, the development of new analytical tools and methodologies, teaching and training, and dissemination activities
• Raise awareness of the challenges of research and decision-making in this area by exploring the interplay of e-research ethics, privacy, surveillance, freedom of speech, and practices of and responses to VOPE
• Influence research agendas on the European and world stages in key aspects of VOPE
• Inform policy agendas on national, European, and international levels in key aspects of responses to VOPE.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call