The overall objective of the PHEBE project is to develop innovative, high-efficiency, blue emitters for white OLEDS, which will create a major breakthrough in the cost performance of OLED lighting. To produce the innovative blue emitters, two new types of molecular systems – without rare earth complexes - will be investigated:
• intramolecular charge transfer systems that enable thermally activated delayed fluorescence (ICT-TADF)
• intermolecular exciplex charge transfer systems that enable thermally activated delayed fluorescence (Exciplex-TADF)
In order to develop the ICT-TADF and Exciplex-TADF based emitters, the following scientific and technical objectives will be targeted:
• Objective 1: Screen potential ICT-TADF and Exciplex-TADF compounds with theoretical models
• Objective 2: Synthesise the most promising ICT-TADF and Exciplex-TADF model compounds
• Objective 3: Characterise and select the best ICT-TADF and Exciplex-TADF synthesised compounds
• Objective 4: Design white stack units employing the selected TADF based emitter and block materials
• Objective 5: Design close-to-production OLED lighting panel demonstrators
To show the project’s overall objective has been achieved, white stack tandem units (2 x 2 cm2 with 90 nm ITO) and OLED lighting panel demonstrators (e.g. 25 cm2 circular panels) - based on the new blue emitters – will be produced and tested that meet the performance targets indicated in the H2020 call ICT 29 – 2014.
The PHEBE project will be undertaken by a strong consortium of partners that span the complete value chain for the development and commercialisation of the new, high-efficiency, blue emitters for white OLEDS: OLED lighting research organisations (UDUR, TUD and KTU), OLED component producer (Novaled), and OLED lighting device manufacturer (Astron-FIAMM). Overall, the PHEBE consortium is well-balanced in terms of the number of industrial and academic partners as well as their geographic spread.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeRIA - Research and Innovation action
83210 La Farlede