Periodic Reporting for period 2 - PROPHETIC (PROPHETIC:An innovating Personal Healthcare Service for a holistic remote management and treatment of Parkinson patients.)
Reporting period: 2017-01-01 to 2017-12-31
As none of the existing interventions aiming at facing PD has been really effective in the long run, interest has increased for the development of systems and methods to monitor PD patients with potential for facilitating the management of symptoms. In this context, the design of efficient ICT broad-based management system integrating remote-monitoring of multi-parametric factors, decision support for the medical staff, friendly, adaptable and personalized care (physical therapy, neuro-therapy, speech therapy, follow-up of the medication compliance based on “serious gaming”), PD patient and family education, general wellness maintenance, should represent a viable solution. Hence the overall goal of PROPHETIC is to exploit smart miniaturized systems and advanced information systems towards the development of an infrastructure facilitating disease management by:
• remote and continuous monitoring of PD patients in a non invasive manner,
• sharing management plan data flow in a well organized network of carers,
• supporting healthcare providers diagnosis by advanced processing of multi-parametric and relevant information compared to PD,
• displaying friendly exercising and gaming interventions (VR) according to the level of motor and speech impairment as well as for enhancing medication compliance
• following over time the person' status in order to adapt the physical and/or speech therapies as well as the medication program and avoid risks and side effects
• supporting all concerned stakeholders facing PD through e-learning.
In PROPHETIC's last year the focus was on maintaining momentum regarding the secondments and organising our work so as to fulfill the main objective: integration of subsystems and validation in the form of lab tests for the PROPHETIC Platform.
The following project meetings were held:
• 16-17 /3/ 2017: Brainstorm - Valencia, Spain
• 2-3/10/ 2017: PRISME - Bourges, France
• 30 /11 - 1 /12/ 2017: StreamVision - Paris, France
• 7-8 /12/ 2017: ICCS - Athens, Greece
WP3: Integration of the remote monitoring system as well as the transfer of the recorded data into meaningful features both for carers and patients
The end of this WP was in M30, so practically only the last 6 months of it fell into this reporting period. D3.3 – PROPHETIC Suit and cap pilot operation was submitted on time and it is approved.
WP4: Implementation of a Medical Business Intelligence system (Automated health decision support system) as a decision making support for health providers based on context awareness.
Only 6 months of its duration belong to this reporting period. D4.3 – MBI Context Aware Prototype and D4.4 MBI User Interfaces Development were submitted and approved.
WP5: Design of friendly and customised (adapted and individualized) therapy (physical and/or speech therapy, medication scheduling) based on the patient’s ability and progress (context awareness)
In WPs 3-4-5 the main work was carried out during the 1st reporting period. The2nd period was mostly devoted to tests and lab validation as a preparation for the integration phase (WP6) which has already started but reached its pick after the development’s completion of the individual subsystems. D5.2 on Game Controller prototype and D5.3 on Game Graphical Interfaces prototype were submitted on time and already approved.
WP6: Integration of the PROPHETIC platform and optimization of communication capabilities between its main three parts
WP6 (M24-M36) was the focus of PROPHETIC’s last year of operation. The three meetings held (3/10/11/2017) were dedicated to the successful components integration so as to pursue a demonstration acting as a proof of concept for the overall development effort. The resources mobilised by all partners were devoted entirely to the integration purpose, each one according to his/her set of expertise. This effort was reported in the following deliverables:
D6.1 Integration strategy and testing plan (approved)
D6.2 MBI Prototype (approved)
D6.3 Platform Prototype (approval pending)
D6.4 Testing and Validation (approval pending)
WP7: Dissemination and Exploitation
The only deliverable pending for the final reporting period was D7.5 – Deployment plan for PROPETIC platform and services which was submitted and already approved.
The major dissemination event was the final meeting held in ICCS premises, in Athens Greece. PROPHETIC platform was demonstrated to a number of PD specialists from the Medicine School of the National Kapodistrian University of Athens.
A special video was prepared (now showing in youtube channel) along with other escorting material such as a leaflet and an invitation to the workshop
The video is now featuring to all participants sites as well as PROPHETIC’s official site.
Additionally, in December, as a further promotion of the work carried out by our laboratory we had the chance to present PROPHETIC to two kick off meetings of PM15 projects (HOLOBALANCE and CAPTAIN).
The overall response of the clinicians was very positive which leads the consortium to believe that the specific domain has a lot of potential for both academic but also industrial development.
• more accurate diagnostics of PD from its early stage,
• better follow-up and prophylaxis of the disease,
• better interaction between PD patients and medical staff even if remotely,
• optimized management of PD patient,
• provision of high quality personalized home care services: physical and/or speech therapy based on serious gaming, sharing of information between the medical staff, the family, the concerned person.