Periodic Reporting for period 2 - PI-SCALE (Bringing flexible organic electronics to pilot innovation scale)
Reporting period: 2017-07-01 to 2019-06-30
To achieve that, following activities were performed and results achieved during the course of the project:
• Infrastructure existing at the different partners has been revised for incompatibilities and pilot line process flows have been chosen to meet the end-user specifications, but also to meet expected specifications of future pilot line customers.
• The development of OLED processes in S2S as well as in R2R was successfully done.
• Hybrid R2R process was established, where the advantages of both process technologies, solutions processed and vacuum deposition, were combined. This led to the world wide largest demonstrator of a 15m long OLED stripe.
• The realization of intermittent slot die coating was shown.
• An effort has been made to introduce the consortium barrier substrate, laminated on a large area carrier, into a production of flexible OLED by a commercial OLED manufacturer.
• A roadmap of the pilot line has been defined and its operations is regularly monitored which enables, from the technical point of view, continuation of the pilot line after the end of the project.
• With the S2S and R2R offerings the four end-user of the pilot line could be served and allowed them to make their first flexible OLED product demonstrators.
• Apart from demonstrators developed in cooperation with the project end-users, different technology demonstrators were prepared to engage with customers:
o Bottle demonstrator
o Name Card demonstrator
o Automotive demonstrator – Transparent segmented multi-color HUD
o The Aerospace demonstrator
o Print and Packaging demonstrator
o Lighting demonstrator
• Following offerings were prepared for the three main types of customers (manufacturers for end-users, integrators, and material suppliers):
o Starter – ideal for concept validation
o Baseline – wider selection of colour, shapes and connectors for starting uniqueness
o Premium – fully customisable flexible designs which are specific and tailed for each individual application
• 124 events were attended in total, this included 45 exhibitions (with booth organisation) and 65 delivered presentations. 500 leads were attracted that led to 29 new customers obtained for the pilot line who signed 37 contracts which generated a substantial amount of revenues for the pilot line. These new customers were also served by the pilot line.
• The highest performing single layer SiN R2R moisture barrier Worldwide - WVTR < 2.10-6 g/m2/day at 20oC/50% rel. hum., 0.03 pinholes/cm2 after 1000h at 60oC/90% rel. hum. has been made
• Largest flexible R2R OLED device made Worldwide: 30 cm x 1.8 m
• World wide largest demonstrator of a 15m long OLED stripe made.
• Unique flexible OLEDs with customised designs and colours made.
Results achieved by the end of the project:
• A self-sustaining flexible OLED pilot line established able to offer flexible OLED prototyping services with:
o Customised logos and pictures
o Customised shape & colour
o Optical transparency (up to 60%)
o Long dimensions >1m
o Active matrix and passive segmented flexible OLEDs
o System-level integration
• 4 launching customers served with customised product prototypes.
• 29 new customers ranging from SMEs to LEs served by the middle of 2019.
• Help to establish a sustainable industry around flexible OLEDs by increasing access to, and awareness of, this technology, and bridge the gap between R&D and mass production.