The objective of REPLICATE is to demonstrate Smart City technologies in energy, transport and ICT in districts in San Sebastia, Florence and Bristol addressing urban complexity and generate replication plans in other districts and in follower cities of Essen,
Nilufer and Lausanne.
Main challenges for cities are to increase the overall energy efficiency, to exploit better local resources in terms of energy
supply and demand side measures. For successful implementation of Smart City technologies two main elements are
- Cities are the customer: considering local specificities in integrated urban plans and the need to develop monitoring
systems to extract conclusions for replication.
- Solutions must be replicable, interoperable and scalable.
REPLICATE considers also the complexity of cities, the tangible benefits for citizens, the financial mechanisms and the new
business models. The 3 pillars implemented in the pilots with the engagement of citizens, private actors and authorities are:
- Low energy districts: cost-effective retrofitting, new constructive techniques with optimal energy behaviour and high
enthalpy RES in residential buildings. Include also efficient measures in public and residential buildings: ICT tools, PV,
shading or natural ventilation; district heating is demonstrated hybridising local biomass, recovered heat and natural gas.
- Integrated Infrastructure: deployment of ICT architecture, from internet of things to applications, to integrate the solutions in
different areas. Smart Grids on electricity distribution network to address the new challenges, connecting all users:
consumers, producers, aggregators and municipality. Intelligent lighting will allow automated regulation of the amount of light
and integration of IP services via PLC.
- Urban mobility: sustainable and smart urban bus service, electric urban bike transport, 3-wheeler delivery and transport
services, deployment of EV charging infrastructures and ICT tools.
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fossil energy/natural gas
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/business model
- /engineering and technology/civil engineering/urban engineering/smart city
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
BS1 5TR Bristol
20001 Donostia San Sebastian
20009 San Sebastian
20015 San Sebastian
16124 Genova Ge
BS1 6AG Bristol
BS8 2QD Bristol
EH54 5DW Livingston
BS7 8QH Bristol
DH1 2LH Durham
20018 San Sebastian
20014 San Sebastian
34718 Kadikoy Istanbul