Periodic Reporting for period 3 - VORTEX (NEW CONCEPT OF AFFORDABLE WIND ENERGY GENERATORS WITHOUT BLADES)
Reporting period: 2018-06-01 to 2019-05-31
Clients will benefit from this new technology, especially in areas where solar energy does not perform well. Vortex has enough room for improvement and lots of industry and commercial interest. Our goal is to provide power to European households for close future commercialization and later massive market uptake. We want to achieve these goals of becoming the designer, manufacturer, and seller of the first-ever bladeless wind generator for the Small Wind Market (SWM). Combing our patented and market-backed technology with improved properties, we want to reinvigorate the SWM addressing EU 2020 energy targets.
The new generator will be easily installed and combined with existing solar panel installations, where the electrical equipment and batteries would be shared by both generation systems. Due to the increasing demand of these type of energy, massive sales of generators in the range of 100 W, for example, are expected (electric vehicle charge, the combination of VORTEX technology with existing solar panel installations, etc.).
Since the source of energy is different (wind and solar) together with the elements in the installation that can be share, the synergies between both technologies can create a very competitive solution. Green energy sources suffer a limitation linked to discontinuity in their generation, for example, during the night, solar panels do not produce energy. In this case, the usual solution is to oversize the power generation of PV panels and store the energy in a battery for the night hours supply. Combining both energy sources, wind and sun, the battery needs will decrease because of the continuous generation of energy.
Replacement and mix of SWT installations: The requirements for a conventional wind turbine installation is the separation of the turbines several times its dimension to avoid interference. This area can be reused to locate vortex if the height of the wind turbines is over the size of the vortex devices. In this way, a turbine installation can be upgraded for more energy extraction.
This new product will directly address the needs of widen specific groups in different ways:
- Installation companies or big suppliers of similar devices for industrial, services and residential sectors.
- Energy Service (or Savings) Companies (ESCOs): ESCOs nowadays focus their business into retrofitting in buildings and street-lighting.
- Third world countries when the supply needs are fewer compared with the first world, small generators can role an important place to improving the quality of life for many people.
- Fast installation needs (military and emergency use). Sometimes equipment that can be easily transported and installed can be crucial for the surviving of the population, in particular, situations (Refugee and rescue camps).
Therefore, the end-users for a small wind VORTEX generator are:
· Residential (mainly rural/isolated).
· Commercial and industrial.
· Fishery and recreation boats.
· Hybrids systems.
· Farms and remote villages.
· Portable systems for leisure.
· Desalination and purification.
· Remote monitoring.
· Research and education.
· Telecom base station.
Consequently, there is a huge business opportunity for the company that successfully introduces an innovative solution to the small wind turbine sector that is capable of dealing with the following challenges:
1. Minimizing Manufacturing Costs: Current designs still demand too high investment (materials, manufacturing, and transport).
2. Reduce Operational and & Maintenance Costs (O&M): High annual costs, mainly due to numerous mobile parts and components, orientation mechanism to wind direction, oil consumption for start-up and lubricants.
3. Reduce Environmental Impact: Critical limitations such as visual impact, high level of noise and not being fauna-friendly.
4. Improve Social Impact: Environmental impact related to visual impact and noise extremely affects public acceptance of such devices. Citizen supports wind generation as renewable energy, but far from their homes.
We can conclude, that the new scale of the device is an opportunity rather than a difficulty in the success of the project.
Two of the three largest wind energy companies in the world have begun to value and study this technology: One of them has officially proposed a collaboration project in which this company would participate together with our team and a large public European research center. Another is currently dedicating a team of people from one of its departments to make a case business of our product. In addition, technical information is being exchanged with them and in a few weeks, they will be sent a prototype for analysis.
Also, one of the largest European electric utility companies has just contacted us and we have already held our first conference call. We also hope to continue moving forward with them.
We are in constant contact with one of the two largest software corporations in the world, given their interest was shown to implement and extrapolate the work strategies that we have developed for the future technology startups supported by the European Commission with large computing capacity needs. The format, needs and work processes implemented in the Vortex project could thus become the first of its kind in a series of future small European companies.
In another vein, the interdisciplinary relationship with different people, organizations and groups has been very enriching. The knowledge of the concerns, needs, and motivations are essential for the optimization in the design of our technology of the solutions that as engineers we can develop in the future. We must highlight here especially Birdlife, municipality of Gotarrendura, ""Barrio de la Pineda"" project, EnergEticaCoop, Espacio Emprendedores, PasatealoElectrico Group, etc.
Finally, the visible activity of our development center in Ávila has coincided with the revitalization of the number of businesses (<200%) established in the shopping center we are staying, specifically energy engineering and technological studies. We infer here the possible tractor effect that the project has done locally.