Nanowires (NWs) exhibit unique properties that make them potential building blocks for a variety of next generation NanoElectronics devices. Recent advances have shown that NWs with predefined properties can be grown, offering a new paradigm enabling functional device prototypes including: biosensors, solar cells, transistors, quantum light sources and lasers. The critical mass of scientific knowledge gained now needs to be translated into NW technologies for industry. FP7-MC NanoEmbrace (ITN) and FUNPROB (IRSES), made substantial contributions to NW research, producing excellent scientific and technological results (>100 journal papers published) and delivered outstanding training in nanoscience and transferable skills to ESRs.
Despite demonstrable scientific and technological advantages of NWs, NW-based technology concepts have not yet been translated into market-ready products, because industry and academia have not worked hand-in-hand to commercialize the research findings. Thus, it is essential that NW research is now directed towards customer-oriented scientific R&D; whilst applying innovative industrial design techniques to ensure rapid translation of the basic technologies into commercial devices.
This ambitious challenge requires close collaboration between academia and the nascent NW industry, combining the efforts of scientists and engineers to address market needs. Building upon our previous achievements, a team of leading scientific experts from top institutions in Europe, strengthened by experts in innovative design and industrial partners with an excellent track record of converting cutting edge scientific ideas into market products has formed the INDEED network to address this challenge. To enhance employability, INDEED will train young ESRs to become experts with a unique skill set that includes interdisciplinary scientific techniques, industrial experience through R&D secondments and innovative design skills.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/laser physics
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/electrical conductivity/semiconductor
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/data processing
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/artificial intelligence
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/big data
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/electrical conductivity/superconductor
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/computer hardware/quantum computer
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeMSCA-ITN-ETN - European Training Networks
TS21 3FG Cleveland
DL10 7JH Brompton-on-swale
98052 Redmont Wa
HP2 5GE Hemel Hempstead
91190 Saint Aubin
60313 Frankfurt Am Main