Cities around the globe are struggling to meet the needs of their citizens with respect to food, energy and water. These three sectors are inextricably linked and actions in one sector more often have impacts in one or both of the others; these interacting sectors can therefore be seen as a Food-Energy-Water Nexus (FEW Nexus) of systems.
The ERANET Sustainable Urbanisation Global Initiative (EN-SUGI) will bring together the fragmented research and innovation expertise across Europe and beyond to find innovative new solutions to this FEW Nexus challenge. Furthermore, by linking the activity of the Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) Urban Europe and the Belmont Forum (BF), EN-SUGI develops more resilient, applied urban solutions that bring research and innovation together from across the globe.
EN-SUGI is a project that foresees the participation of 19 Funding Agencies eligible for the EU top up, 18 from JPI Urban Europe and 1 from Argentina, and 6 FAs non eligible for EU top up, under the umbrella of the Belmont forum , collaborating on a volunteer base.
EN-SUGI Main objectives and impacts are:
To support development of practical innovations and new collaborative research that will allow urban areas to understand and address the challenges of the Food-Energy-Water systems. (Impact = 12-14 projects funded, and 15 cities/local authorities engaged)
To provide a framework for aligning R&I agendas of JPI Urban Europe and the BF,. The alignment will help foster transdisciplinary collaboration and co-creation in research and innovation, and facilitate the use of global expertise and knowledge (Impact = 24 funding organisations involved)
EN-SUGI will foster development of international relationships between the different parts of the research and innovation community – to enable them to contribute to addressing those challenges and goals, while aligning them to wider, strategic initiatives, including the SRIA agenda, Future Earth and UN –Habitat.
- H2020-EU.22.214.171.124. - Provide knowledge and tools for effective decision making and public engagement
- H2020-EU.126.96.36.199. - Assess impacts, vulnerabilities and develop innovative cost-effective adaptation and risk prevention and management measures
- H2020-EU.188.8.131.52. - Support mitigation policies, including studies that focus on impact from other sectoral policies
- H2020-EU.3.5.4. - Enabling the transition towards a green economy and society through eco-innovation
- H2020-EU.184.108.40.206. - Developing integrated approaches to address water-related challenges and the transition to sustainable management and use of water resources and services
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeERA-NET-Cofund - ERA-NET Cofund
1054 Buenos Aires
1425 Ciudad Autonoma De Buenos Aires