EU society needs new sustainable biobased feedstock in order to meet the growing population needs and to reduce the dependence on fossil fuels. In terms of potential market requirements in EU, the food and fuel demand is mainly covered by foreign import, achieving the 68% of total proteins supply. Aquatic feedstock can be a solution to these necessities, however, European algae feedstock market is still facing immature production technologies, and which are not specifically designed for algae biorefinery.
The overall objective of BIOSEA is the development and validation of innovative, competitive and cost-effective upstream and downstream processes for the cultivation of 2 microalgae (Spirulina platensis and Isochrysis galbana), and 2 macroalgae (Ulva intestinalis and Saccharina latissima) to produce and extract at least 6 high value active principles at low cost (up to 55% less than with current processes) to be used in food, feed and cosmetic/personal care as high-added value products.
For achieving this objective, BIOSEA consortium consists of specialists in specific area/s or discipline/s involved in the project (IGV, AT SEA and CTAQUA in Biological Sciences and Biotechnology; VITO and FEYECON in Chemical Science and Engineering; CNTA, BIOPOLIS, DIBAQ, SORIA NATURAL and CPCFEED in Food/Feed Technology; VLCI and HENKEL in Cosmetic Science; AITEX in Materials Science and TABU in Environmental Science). The total budget of BIOSEA is up to €4,633,447, so it is totally aligned with the range considered in the topic. It can be added that the industrial contribution will be up to €2,611,321, representing a percentage of 44% of the total budget and indicating the strong weight and involvement of the industry in the proposal.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics/productivity
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/microbiology/phycology
- /agricultural sciences/agricultural biotechnology/biomass
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry/biomolecules/proteins
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/environmental sciences
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/textiles
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBBI-RIA - Bio-based Industries Research and Innovation action
11500 El Puerto De Santa Maria Cadiz
40260 Fuentepelayo Segovia
42162 Garray Soria