Periodic Reporting for period 2 - DREAMS (DRone European AIM Study)
Reporting period: 2018-10-01 to 2019-09-30
The U-space is seen in the project as the key enabling concept for safe integration of drones within VLL (Very Low Level, i.e. up to 500ft) airspace, tailored on the needs of UAS operations. U-Space accommodates various services, including acquisition, quality control and dissemination of relevant information, not limited by the current scope of AIS/AIM, since drones would need additional information. The project shall contribute to accelerate the deployment of U-space by adopting technologies and standards from manned aviation where they meet the needs of U-space.
The benfit of such reasearch activities can be expolited by a large number of stakeholders not limited to the traditional aviation domain, but including, for instance, also recreational drone users, with the objective to permit safe operation of drones and to enlarge the drone operations market development.
The results of the first phase of the project contributed to pave the way in order to reach the objectives defined. The activities and the documentation produced and submitted, allowed to starting identifying the gap existing between the manned and unmanned aviation, especially in terms of data and services related to Aeronautical Information Management.
The results obtained so far within DREAMS project are summarized below:
• an important reference for each Consortium partner;
• exploring several Drone applications, taking advantage also of the experience of International Advisory Board (IAB) ;
• Analyze in detail the data and services needs in order to feed the gap analysis;
• Actual application of Specific Operations Risk Assessment (SORA) methodology for safety assessment on selected operational scenarios;
• Collection of valuable input that might be provided to relevant international standardization bodies (E.g. EUROCAE)
• extend contact network, especially for small companies