Periodic Reporting for period 1 - TEVINS (TEYME EYE VINEYARD SPRAYER)
Reporting period: 2017-06-01 to 2017-11-30
Environmentally friendly and cost-competitive grape production presents a key challenge facing grape growers and society in general. Current modern means of agriculture protection is consuming massive amounts of different pesticides in order to accomplish the desired yield. Moreover, when pesticides are applied with current technologies about 50% of total sprayed quantities do not reach their intended target. The ability to spray large areas of vines selectively, economically and effectively is just what the grape growers market needed.
In order to answer this market need, Spanish company TEYME, as one of the vanguards of the vineyard spraying equipment, is developing the new TEVINS sprayer. As one of the most important tasks of this Phase 1 project, TEYME completed a thorough feasibility study which fulfils the following objectives:
1. To assess the project’s technical, financial, commercial, political, legislative and management risks.
2. To conduct an in-depth market analysis.
3. To distribute partner searches to enhance market expansion.
4. To further evaluate our technology with independent industry experts and with our existing customers.
5. To refine IPR strategy and seek external advice on the most appropriate IPR route, to look on the most promising ideas which can be patented and be used to secure Teyme’s lead in the industry.
6. To develop an elaborated business plan providing more detailed market research and set a comprehensive approach for commercialization in the period following the feasibility study
The results are promising in terms of technology development and commercialization strategy. Positive experience with Phase 1 (financial stimulus as well as professional guidance) has encouraged the company to apply for funding in the next Phase 2 call.
TEYME’s R&D department plans to perform further technology validation and testing in Phase 2 as full project implementation.
• Minimize the hazards and risks to health and the environment stemming from the use of pesticides – EU thematic strategy had set these objectives
• Access to clean, fresh water - Product full implementation is in line with water preservation, by reducing the number of pesticides in groundwater to obtain good chemical water status and linked with the European Water Framework Directive.
• Food quality & safety – a project aiming to reduce the residues of pesticides in food which can still pose acute health risks for consumers. In January 2016, the European Union announced four Commission Regulations amending Annexes II, III and V to Directive 2005/396/EC  of the European Parliament, and of the Council, with regard to maximum residue levels for pesticides in or on food and feed of plant and animal origin.
The implementation of the project will result in new innovative vineyard sprayer enabling the grape growers direct and indirect saving in the form of:
1. Lower pesticide usage by grape spraying –approximately 30% (depend upon vegetation index)
2. Labour time reduction and tractor fuel savings
3. Decreased fertiliser cost
4. Increased yield
5. Increased grape quality
6. Reduced vineyard contamination with pesticides
7. Vegetation data saved and sorted into Cloud for future potential analysis by pesticide producers, local agriculture support agencies etc.
Continuous research teamed with over 40 years of experience and product development allows TEYME to offer vast range of machines of 1st class technology. TEVINS project fully fits in line with TEYME's management strategy toward new innovative products to ensure the future company growth. The company strategy is focused on the understanding of growers’ problems, in order to make a common solution.