Increasingly, railway stations are becoming complex, with some being interchanges, and in some cases commercial or shopping malls and social activities. Subsequently, there are likely to be issues with congestion, guidance and security that are not experienced in more remote stations.
The FAIR Stations project aims to develop solutions for improved users flow within the station, and at the platform train interface (PTI). This will be done putting customer satisfaction, and security & safety at the centre of the station design, paying special attention to needs of PRMs.
The project will conduct a study on the state of the art station designs, as a benchmark. Future stations design will hinge on three pillars: design for security & safety, design for congestion, and design for accessibility. Tools to be applied include:
- User needs assessment
- User flow modelling
- Station design algorithm that optimises passenger flows for continuing and emerging operational design requirements such as security, baggage handling, and accessibility.
- Engineering design of a train and/or platform based mechanism to facilitate independent boarding and alighting of PRMs, using sensors/detection systems.
The key design factors to be considered are security, safety, baggage handling, ticketing, design for accessibility, information & signage, and climatology. KPIs developed will be used to evaluate and validated the design solutions. Since security is a major challenge highlighted, the station design process will incorporate a risk assessment sub-routine. As part of the demonstration, experimental and in-situ tests will be conducted. Additionally, a 3D virtual reality demonstrator will be developed. The outputs of the project will be aligned with S2R projects S2R-CFM-IP3-01-2017 & S2R-CFM-IP1-01-2017.
The project consortium will include an academic institutions, rail operators, infrastructure managers, engineering SME, architectural firm, and passenger interest group.
Fields of science
- social sciencespsychologyergonomics
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomics
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftwaresoftware applicationsvirtual reality
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesphysical geographynatural disasters
- social sciencespolitical sciencespolitical transitionsterrorism
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeShift2Rail-RIA - Research and Innovation action
16152 Genova Ge