Periodic Reporting for period 1 - LEDHEAD (Low-cost LED headlamp system for increased safety, efficiency and sustainability in automotive lighting)
Reporting period: 2018-01-01 to 2018-04-30
Hungaro Lux Light is developing is a novel optical system for motor vehicle headlamps, designed specifically for LED light sources. Our solution uses only refractive elements, resulting in better optical efficiency and far lower manufacturing costs than current solutions, making LED headlamps economically feasible across all vehicle classes. Our ultimate objective is to successfully commercialise low-cost LED headlamps based on the LEDHEAD optical system. Bringing these headlamps to the more price sensitive segments will speed up adoption of LED lighting in the automotive sector. This will in turn contribute to the reduced negative impact on the environment and increased road safety.
The outcome of the Phase 1 project is a comprehensive Feasibility Study including a Strategic Business Plan with the following specific results:
1) Improved market assessment of the targeted segments, including a thorough assessment of the end-user preferences and interests of manufacturers and other key stakeholders, such as suppliers or regulators in each segment.
2) Identified partnership opportunities: We have identified partners for collaboration that have the necessary expertise and resources to contribute to our technological and commercial objectives.
3) Better understanding of technological requirements: The successful development of LEDHEAD required a thorough assessment of technological requirements; with emphasis on production technology and materials. The results of the assessment is a long-term technological roadmap for the entire development process and a short-term work plan for the next phase of the development.
The beneficial impact of the LEDHEAD project is that it enables the accelerated market take-up of LED headlamp technology in price-sensitive vehicle segments by providing a low cost alternative. Thereby, the environmental, safety and economic advantages of LED lighting emerge quicker and with a wider scope.
Specifically, LEDHEAD contributes to addressing the challenges of safe and sustainable mobility:
• Improved road safety: Since LED sources contain more relative energy in the short wavelength region of the visible spectrum, it has been shown that they provide a benefit to off-axis visual performance over halogen and HID lamps. Road safety can be further improved by intelligent headlight solutions enabled by LED technology.
• Reduced environmental impact Energy saving, lower CO2 emissions. LEDs have better power efficiency, thereby resulting in energy saving and lower CO2 emissions. They also have significantly longer lifecycles.