SAMS enhances international cooperation of ICT and sustainable agriculture between EU and developing countries in pursuit of EU commitment to UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG N°2) “End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture”.
Beekeeping with small-scale operations provides perfect innovation labs for demonstration and dissemination of cheap and easy-to-use open source ICT applications in developing countries.
Bee health and sustainable beekeeping are a key for sustainable agriculture worldwide. Risks of depleting honey production threatens livelihoods of beekeepers, but degradation of pollination power of suffering bee colonies threats overall agricultural production and affects entire population.
SAMS allows active monitoring and remote sensing of bee health and beekeeping by developing appropriate ICT solution supporting management of bee health and bee productivity and a role model for effective international cooperation.
Summarized, SAMS addresses requirements of end-user communities on beekeeping in developing countries. It includes technological improvements and adaptation as well as innovative services creation in apiculture based on advanced ICT and remote sensing technologies.
SAMS increases production of bee products, creates jobs (particularly youths/ women), triggers investments and establishes knowledge exchange through networks. SAMS results are of major interest for stakeholder along the whole value chain of honey production. By cooperation with other networks, SAMS technology will be promoted worldwide to beekeepers as well as data beneficiaries.
SAMS will be implemented in seven workpackages. Project participants in these workpackages are: GIZ, UNIKAS, UNILV, UNIGRA, UNPAD, CVPI, HOLETA and ICEADDIS.
Required project duration conducts 36 months. Necessary EU funding amounts to 1.999.869,25 €
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/sustainable economy
- /agricultural sciences/animal and dairy science/apiculture
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages/food safety
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/remote sensing
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture/sustainable agriculture
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action