Periodic Reporting for period 1 - Medipee (A novel touchless method and eHealth system for automated urine monitoring)
Reporting period: 2018-04-01 to 2018-09-30
The objective of the Medipee project is to prepare a technical and commercial feasibility study for the development, certification and commercialization strategy of a novel touchless method and eHealth system for automated urine monitoring. The Medipee technology and device allows for easy to use, low cost, automated and comfortable urine testing which can be used by patients in their homes and delivers digital (and/or analogue) results immediately.
As one of the most important tasks of this Phase 1 project, Medipee completed a thorough feasibility study which fulfils the following objectives:
1. To assess the project’s technical, financial, commercial, legislative and management risks.
2. To conduct an in-depth market analysis.
3. To conduct partner searches to clarify market potential and expansion.
4. To further evaluate the technology with independent industry experts.
5. To refine IPR strategy and seek external advice on the most appropriate IPR route, to look on the most promising ideas which can be patented and be used to secure Medipee’s lead in the industry.
6. To develop an elaborated business plan providing more detailed market research and set a comprehensive approach for commercialization in the period following the feasibility study
Based on the findings of the Feasibility Study, the positive feedback of our Expert-Interviews and the interest in our technology from the industry, our company has decided to continue with the project. In the next phase of the project we plan to intensify product development to achieve market readiness as soon as possible. Parallel to that we will try to find a strategic partner, to help us with the market entry and scaling up production. As part of this project we have extended our relevant network strongly, which might become a solid base for joint programming under for example SME H2020 Phase 2.
Medipees project directly supports EU calls for accelerating market introduction of ICT solutions for Health, Well-Being and Ageing. It addresses not only EU but global challenges.
The implementation of the project will result in complete new ways of monitoring health resulting in direct and indirect improvement of todays situation by:
• Simplifying health monitoring and increase process hygiene
• Usage for professional and domestic application
• Plug n‘play – easy to use
• Therapy control and monitoring of medications
• High quality data generation for improved medical analysis
• Worldwide applicable and ready for telemedicine
• Connectivity to other applications such as e.g. Health-Apps
Regarding the calls focus-areas Health, Well-Being and Ageing, the project covers all three of them regardlessly. Just to give some examples: Dehydration, a big problem for elderly people in nursing homes, may be measured via specific gravity in Urine, Urine pH- value can be monitored to address issues like gout or kdiney stones, Ketones may be monitored für epileptics living on a ketogenic diet etc. It is a solution for consumers and institutional healthcare delivery, building on standards in communication to integrate old and new ICT solutions and innovation ecosystems for Health, Well-Being and Ageing. It has the potential to be a disruptive innovation with a fast market up-take.
Medipees project fully fits in line with Medipee's management strategy towards new innovative products to ensure the future company growth. The company strategy is focused on the understanding of user’s problems, in order to produce an universal solution.