TRIcEPS aims at fulfilling all the requirements of the JTI-CS2-2018-CfP08-FRC-01-21, “Development of integrated engine air intake and protection systems for Tilt Rotor” by designing, manufacturing, testing and qualifying the left-hand and the right-hand side air intakes and their integrated engine protection system for the NextGenCTR technology demonstrator, contributing to meet the goals of the CS2JU FRC WP1. The proposed engine protection system is geared on two key enabling technologies:
• a removable thermoelectric ice protection system based on the heater layer technology. This is already under development on the blade of the NextGenCTR and on the wing of the regional aircraft;
• a vortex tubes filter for protecting the engine from ingestion of particles in harsh environment.
The air intake will be equipped with a bypass for operation in clean flow and a compressor washing system. The choice of a vortex tubes instead of a barrier filter is key in TRIcEPS. This solution, despite providing 1-to-2% lower particle separation efficiency, allows for:
• full self-cleaning capabilities, thus not requiring maintenance (i.e. fit and forget approach);
• stable pressure drop in brownout operation, resulting in no need of emergency bypass actuation which would expose the engine to the harsh environment;
• significantly reduced icing issues;
• easier flight certification path, according to FAA;
resulting in the best technical compromise for the NextGenCTR considering its mission profile. Moreover, this choice does not to infringe IPRs on tilt rotor air intake (as per patenting activities by Bell Helicopters on barrier filter), thus securing the position of Leonardo with respect to the future market.
TRIcEPS will deliver the air intake, its engine protection system and all the relevant sub-systems at TRL 7, supplying Leonardo with the reference technical solution for engine protection of the NextGenCTR, strengthening the competitiveness of the European rotorcraft industry.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/theoretical physics/particles
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/aerospace engineering/aircraft/rotorcraft
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/aerospace engineering/aircraft
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCS2-IA - Innovation action