The main objective of UltimateGaN is to safeguard Europe’s leading position in terms of power semiconductors and high performance RF applications by driving an innovative breakthrough change with the next generation of GaN-technologies. Several predecessor projects are the basis for the availability of the first generation of European based GaN-devices, also revealing that the challenges of these technologies have been heavily underestimated. This makes the high potential of GaN clearly evident to overcome the persisting threats of higher electric fields, current densities and power densities related to the necessity of device shrinkage.
The new concept of following a vertical approach to address research through the entire supply chain of technology, packaging, reliability and application will enable a significant improvement of efficiency that goes beyond the limits of silicon based semiconductors in combination with packages that fully utilize the shrink-path of power GaN devices and which are not ready as of today.
UltimateGaN’s unique approach addresses, among others, the following innovative applications with the scope to enable digitalisation and energy efficiency for 5G, Smart Grids and Smart Mobility that goes hand in hand with a significant reduction of the CO2 footprint:
•Extremely efficient server power supply enabling lower energy consumption in data centres
•Benchmark Photovoltaic inverters in terms of efficiency and size to foster the use of renewable energies
•Affordable 5G-Amplifiers up to mm-wave enabling a faster 5G rollout
•GaN powered LIDAR application to enable autonomous driving
•Highest efficiency µ-Grid-converters and On-Board Chargers
The global state-of-the-art first generation GaN devices are mainly based on US and Asian suppliers. Only a cooperative project like UltimateGaN with European market leaders and world-class researchers can take on the challenges and bring Europe at the forefront in terms of GaN enabled opportunities.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/electromagnetism and electronics/electrical conductivity/semiconductor
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy/solar energy
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/wireless/5g
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/waste management/energy efficiency
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeECSEL-RIA - ECSEL Research and Innovation Action
583 30 Linkoping