Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) and Distributed Temperature-Strain Sensing (DTSS) are two ground-breaking Distributed Fibre Optic Sensor (D-FOS) technologies that allow large-scale measuring and mapping of acoustic vibrations, temperature, mechanical deformations, and pressure in a large variety of consumer-based, civil, industrial, and environmental applications, in particular for attaining the widespread technological nerve system in smart city environments, for instance in smart home/household monitoring (heating, survelliance, fire detection, structural heath, and so forth), as well as in product distribution/logistics (traffic, distribution and plant monitoring).
DAS and DTSS employ a low-priced optical fibre cable installed along the assets (e.g. homes/households in a neighborhood) to be monitored for up to 100 km through an interrogator equipment that sweeps a “virtual sensor” to measure the physical parameters individually at any cable point.
This project main objective is to develop, prototype and demonstrate, both in civil/industrial and especially in household/smart-city case studies, a new, cost-effective, Smart LightwAve Multi-modal Distributed Acoustic Strain and Temperature photonic sensing system (SLAM-DAST), which will integrate:
- Distributed Temperature and mechanical deformation (Strain) Sensing (DTSS) and
- Distributed Acoustic vibrations optical Sensing (DAS)
SLAM-DAST aims at securing the conditions of a disruptive market exploitation, at an industrial as well as at a large scale consumer-oriented level, of the project’s results by:
- supporting the product characterisation-standardisation through open access to performance test benches;
- adopting open innovation policies about general system architecture and embedded data pre-processing;
- promoting vendor interoperability through the use of open standards and formats;
- creating shared value through knowledge-spreading and international networking with key market access points.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesacoustics
- engineering and technologycivil engineeringurban engineeringsmart city
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesopticsfibre optics
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringautomation and control systemshome automation
- social scienceseconomics and businessbusiness and managementcommerce
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
40069 Zola Predosa