ANFAS project aims at developing a Support Decision System for flood prevention and protection, integrating the most advanced techniques of data processing and management. Tools based on Computer Vision and Scientific Computing will enable to create a model of the scene and to perform flood simulation. Close involvement of end-users and industrial partners may lead to the realisation of an Integrated Information System close to a prototype. Pilot applications will be carried out on the Vah river in Slovaka, the Loire in France, the Poyang lake and the Three Gorges reservoir in China.
The overall objective of the ANFAS project is to develop a Decision Support System for flood prevention and protection, integrating the most advanced techniques in data processing and management. When a flood is going to happen, decision makers have to decide what are the most appropriate reactions: evacuation of the population, reinforcement of dikes, etc. The aim of the ANFAS project is to develop a tool to help decision makers in taking the decision that will limit the flood damage.
The ANFAS project will:
- use data from the most advanced acquisition technology;
in particular remote sensing imagery -optical, radar, interferometry radar- will be incorporated into a conventional Geographical Information System database;
- develop advanced data processing tools for Scene modelling and Flood simulation; Computer Vision and Scientific Computing will be used together in order to take into account information extracted from real images for the calculation of parameters for the simulation model;
- have strong end-users involvment through the definition of the objectives, the conception of the System, the evaluation of the simulation results; it ensures that the System answers to "terrain needs" and to be well adapted in practical use;
- involve industrial partners for the realisation of the final System; it is of major importance for the design of the System; one of the main characteristics of the System will be to be modular, i.e. to be composed of blocks easily interchangeable
The functionality of ANFAS System will be:
- to perform flood simulation given a scenario, water flow propagation is simulated; the user can interact with the scene that models the real site in order to add/remove dikes or other human constructions;
- to assess flood damage; flood assessment can be done either using the simulation results or using the remote sensed images of a real flood event;
- at a prospective level, to analyse geological property changes due to repetitive floods for a given site.
The output of the System will be:
- visualisation: it consists of the bidimensional maps of the extent of the flood; if simulation is performed, time sequence maps retracing the propagation of the simulated flood will be provided
- direct impact assessment evaluation of he total affected area; regional and statistical analyses over the affected area; simple socio-economic assessment directly caused by flood.
At the end of the project, three subsystems will be delivered, namely:
Geographic information system database;
tools for Scene modelling from images;
Flood model and simulation;
the final Integrated Information System, which consists of the integration of the three subsystems Semestrial reports and documentations related to the works achievement
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
OX11 0QX Chilton, Didcot
78140 Velizy Villacoublay
71110 Iraklio, Crete
78153 Le Chesnay
842 28 Bratislava
RG6 6AH Reading