AQUILA defines, evaluates, and implements an enhanced architecture for QoS (Quality of Service) in the Internet. Existing approaches e.g. Differentiated Services, Integrated Services and label switching technologies (e.g. MPLS, Multi-Protocol Label Switching) will be exploited and significantly enhanced, contributing to international standardisation.
The architecture will be designed to be cost-effective and scalable. It introduces a software layer for distributed and adaptive resource control and facilitates migration from existing networks and end-user applications.
Technical solutions will be verified by testbed experiments and user trials, including QoS-enhanced on-line multimedia services. Business plans for further exploitation will be studied.
To enable dynamic end to end QoS provisioning in IP networks for QoS sensitive applications
- To continuously analyse customer requirements and market situations and to create applicable business plans
- To design a cost-effective, scalable and backward compatible QoS architecture enhancing the Differentiated Services architecture with dynamic resource and admission control
- To enable migration to and deployment of QoS-enabled networks
- To develop a novel resource control layer extending Bandwidth Broker functionality
- To implement prototypes of the QoS architecture as well as QoS based end user services
- To provide a toolkit for migration of end user applications to QoS To create tools for QoS monitoring and management
- To develop and integrate a distributed QoS measurement infrastructure
- To validate the architecture in testbeds and user trials
- To contribute to standardization bodies like IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), ITU (International Telecoms Union), OMG (Open Management Group)
- To keep the project open for new concepts and recent developments
- Innovative network architecture for QoS in the Internet
- Analysis of relevant traffic control mechanisms
- Distributed resource control layer for IP networks
- QoS management tool
- M11, M12: begin/end of 1st integration and trial phase
- M22, M21: begin/end of 2nd integration and trial phase
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
00040 Morena - Roma