WISDOM is a 3rd Generation (3G mobile) solution to the needs of deaf people for interaction and for visual information. WISDOM exploits the pervasive nature of the third generation mobile network to offer to deaf people, participation, independence and the means to make their own contribution. Deaf needs for visual interaction at a distance, challenge the telecommunications infrastructure in terms of quality of service and content and the specific needs of groups such as the elderly require new interfaces. By trials with Bluetooth enabled systems for video capture, compression, text entry and sign recognition, WISDOM provides solutions for person-to-person live communication and information retrieval in sign language. By involving users and purchasers, network operators and manufacturers, WISDOM ensures a pathway to exploitation and real benefits for the end users. WISDOM advances services for the whole community.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Visual Telecommunications are possible in the third generation mobile networks. Deaf people are ideal users of this development for their sign language communication. WISDOM provides service in sign language in a mobile environment. To achieve this, partners must
1. specify, implement and validate a mobile video terminal which allows communication in sign language, and text
2. extend the system of sign language recognition developed by Aachen Technical University to create an interface with the sign language server
3. set up a sign language server which provides information to deaf users 24hours, 7 days a week
4. establish network quality of service for mobile video communication
5. Integrate recently approved text conversation standards and feed back experience to standardisation bodies
6. Set up and run sign language remote interpretation and voice call relay services
7. Carry out lab and field trials
8. By consultation, ensure a deaf user and purchaser viewpoint for exploitation
- Initial User Specification for service and device at month 3.
- 3G mobile videophone component validation (month 18) leads to:
- Trials in Sign Recognition: Creation of content in three languages (month 18);
- Deployment of video server for access on network (month 24).
- Wireless LAN with sign language server 12mo leads to:
- 3G mobile network.
- Lab Trials (month 12 and 24) lead to:
- QOS model Field Trials (month 33).
- Deaf and elderly dissemination & exploitation (month 33) lead to market.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
EC2A 2AB London
751 08 Uppsala
BS37 6QN Bristol
701 16 Oerebro
136 70 Haninge
793 27 Leksand
RG14 1JX Newbury, Berkshire