The aim of STATUS project is to define the connections between software architecture and the usability of the resultant software system. The project will provide the characteristics of software architectures that improve software usability. The results of the project will be particularized for e-commerce applications.
The scientific and technological objectives of the STATUS project are the following
· Identify usability attributes that are possibly affected by software architecture;
· Study how usability attributes can be influenced by software architecture. New architectural style that supports usability;
· Identify architectural patterns that are repeated in the e-commerce domain to study their relationship with usability, and its improvement with respect to this quality attribute;
· Propose a development process that integrates traditional software development techniques with techniques proper to the field of usability.
In order to achieve the project objectives described below, we aim first to identify what usability-related attributes are likely to be affected by software architecture. At this point, the consortium will be in a position to study the relationship between usability and software architectures.
We plan to study this relationship from three angles:
· identifying what usability attributes each architectural style supported;
· providing some improvements to existing styles to help achieve higher usability and;
· recommending characteristics for a general architecture that can be used to support usability.
From these results the project will focus on proposing improvements for and variations on a set of specific architectures. We will address the architectures used in e-commerce applications, which have a crucial relevance nowadays. As the architectural focus supports but cannot guarantee usability since not all usability attributes and factors can be promoted by the software architecture, the project will also output the definition of a software development process complemented with the usability techniques to be employed in other activities apart from architectural design. The resultant software process along with the modified patterns will be used to develop pilot applications in the e-commerce domain, thus validating the results of the project.
The results of the project will be:
· Architectural recommendations for improving software system usability;
· Architectural guidelines to support the usability quality attribute in e-commerce applications;
· Methodological guidelines for the integration of usability techniques into the software process.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
SW7 2AZ London
9712 CP Groningen