i-Proved promotes early exploitation and adoption of VocaliD, a new smart card technology provided with an embedded acoustic interface able to emit encrypted authentication codes. i-Proved establishes and evaluates secure transactional platform with value-added on-line (telephone and Internet) and in stores services in a European context. The VocaliD new generation smart card meets e-commerce security and mobility requirements, and EMV international standard for in-store payment compliance. The e-security model is based on the use of pseudo-random (or encrypted) sound sequences, emitted by the smart card, transmitted online through any telephone set or computer's microphone, with no additional reader required.
i-Proved has a three phase approach:
(1) conception and establishment of the multi-application transactional platform,
(2) production, personalisation and distribution of the card packages, and
(3) validation and promotion of the results.
i-PROVED aims at validating and demonstrating the use and utility of the VocaliD technology in a real world environment;
i-PROVED detailed objectives are:
- Set up a pan-European VocaliD transactional platform (payment / access control), as a technical reference for integrators and services providers, who want to test and adopt the solution;
- Demonstrate VocaliD benefits such as immediate mobility and interoperability of the solution thanks to multiple service access possibilities;
- Demonstrate the multi-application potential of a VocaliD based platform, by allowing value-added service providers to easily plug to the platform, personalise and upgrade their services, in a secure online environment;
- Demonstrate global convergence online / in-store between: magnetic stripe available and adaptation of a bi-chip module (acoustic/EMV) in order to feature international banking EMV criteria.
i-PROVED will follow a three phase approach:
- First Phase: conception and establishment of the multi-application transactional platform, together with technical partners for the server management and with content providers for the services;
- Second Phase: production, personalisation and distribution of the card packages (cards + user's guide + computer microphones + CD-Rom);
- Third Phase: Validation and Promotion of the results. For the corresponding trial, 10 000 cards will be distributed to European VIP citizens (e-commerce, clics & mortar, banks, consulting companies) dealing with e-payment issues.
They will be selected among i-PROVED service providers customers and through a rented database service. Specific work is dedicated to measuring and assessing the validity and relevance of the VocaliD interface solution. Indicators of the validity of the experience will be acquired through the service providers and their functional test analysis on how i-PROVED has enhanced their sales capabilities and the trust needed for card users to exploit the possibilities of the platform. The evaluation aims at demonstrating how VocaliD smart card fits within the e-commerce landscape, showing its benefits, the attitude of users, service providers, technological partners etc. in order to give the market all the benefit of this experience.
The evaluation is also expected to provide elements on potential market resistance and the strategy to circumvent it. A report on the results will be sent to 1000 VIP in Europe and made available on the i-PROVED web site. The most interesting conclusions will be extracted and publicly advertised.
M3: Business Entity established among partners for exploitation of platform within and beyond project;
M3: Authentication server ready;
M6 Website and Database ready with adapted content providers platforms;
M8 Pilot Launch;
M10: Promotion of pilot;
M18 Pilot final results.
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures
93400 St Ouen
S7 2LS Millhouses Sheffield
69006 Lyon 06
78210 Saint Cyr L'ecole
75018 Paris 18