The project goal is to synthesize and to characterize a wide set of new nanocomposites, which are based on such nanocarbons (NC) as carbon nanotubes, nanodiamonds, nanographites, fullerenes, onion-like carbons. We will study effects of the structure and chemical composition of the NC nanocomposites on their optical, electrical, magnetic, mechanical and chemical properties.
We propose to produce following new materials:
- NC/NC nanocomposites, including: nanographite/nanotubes, nanoshells/nanodiamond cores, fullerenes incorporated nanotubes, organic molecules incorporated nanotubes;
- SiC coated NC;
- metal coated NC;
- NC filler-polymer composites;
- NC films.
The above nanocarbons and nanocomposites will be prepared using:
- arc discharge, catalytically assisted arc discharge and catalytic decomposition of hydrocarbons and or carbon monoxide (single walled- multi walled nanotubes;
- CVD technique (oriented carbon nanotubes, nano-graphite, nano-diamond films, NC nanocomposite films)
- molecular epitaxy on NC of different silanes, metal carbonyls and other volatile compounds (SiC and metal coated NC nanocomposites);
- electrophoresis (NC-containing films and planar mesoscopic systems)
- incorporation of NC into polymer matrix (prepare filler-polymer NC nanocomposites);
- adsorphion of volatile compound into nanotubes.
In order to reveal how physical and chemical properties of NC nanocomposites correlate with their structure, we will employ several techniques. The composition and grain structure of the new materials will be studied by using the high-resolution transmission electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction. The electronic structure of NC nanocomposites will be provided with X-ray emission spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, various transport measurements.
In order to evaluate the potential of NC and NC nanocomposites for applications the following properties will be investigated: the electron field emission, electrical and heat conductivity, magnetoconductivity, magnetic susceptibility, linear and nonlinear optical properties, chemical and mechanical properties.