The general objective of IDuWUE is to improve water-use efficiency (WUE) and thus the yield stability of durum wheat production in rainfed areas of Mediterranean countries. A secondary objective will be to improve N-use efficiency NUE in durum wheat thus further contributing to an improved sustainability of durum wheat production. More specific objectives are to:
1) evaluate under rained and irrigated conditions 180 accessions and 250 durum RILS for physiological traits, WUE, NUE, yield and yield stability;
2) produce molecular profiles of the genetic materials;
3) produce a linkage map;
4) identify markers associated to major QLS for physiological traits, WUE, NUE, yield and yield stability;
5) train young scientists from WANA countries in physiological and molecular techniques;
6) organize a workshop to disseminate the results of the project and assess the socio-economic impact of the cultivation of a more water- and N-use efficient durum wheat.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts